Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Eh Leksyon? A final note on the elections

Campaign Material At Voting Precint

PCOS Machine

I was there...

May 13, at a voting precint in Bacoor City... I was guarding votes from sun-up to moonrise. It was my job, my solemn work: To ensure that no monkey business goes on in my beloved city. I was a witness to the handshakes and the smiles of the candidates, the sweet promises and the brown envelopes of money, to the grind of campaign cars and the noise of the jingles that filled the air, the posters plastered on every wall in sight and the news of arrests and trouble.

I was there...

Standing there, observing every move they made. Reporting each one that I found wrong. Risked my life for what I think was right. Taking pictures of the posters that violated rules, typing out each protest to every single one I knew. 

I was there...

When the vote buyers won. When the people I rooted for lost. When life continued. When the hype has died down and only a few ghosts of the rallies remain. When the billboards and thank you notes filled the spaces. When every thing went back to its normalcy. When the high hopes and expectations slowly ticked away like the grains of the sand that fall from the hourglass. 

I was there...

And I hope that someday that single day that will define our future will show us and lead us to a brighter one.

No comments:

Post a Comment